Monday, July 14, 2008

Artificial vs. Synthetic

Recently around the office there was some debate on the use of artificial intelligence vs. synthetic intelligence. Artifical intelligence implies that the intelligence is not genuine. Syhthetic intelligence suggests the intelligence is not just an imitation but is genuinely a form of intelligence specifically created.

There is an all to short article on the subject at wikipedia. I wish it was quite a bit longer. Its a fresh and healthy debate. While it is philosophical - the whole nature of what we are building is based upon philosophy.

I think for now I am on the synthetic intelligence end of things. The systems I'm seeing are able to perform intellectual tasks that I would do. They don't do them in the same way as I would but they produce similar if not better results and they certainly do it quicker and faster than I do.

No comments: